shop tutorials recipes fitness links about me home Image Map

06 July 2016

Blue Apron


A couple of months ago, me and Cody decided to try out Blue Apron.

For those of you who don't know, Blue Apron is a company that designs dinner recipes and ships 3 meals a week straight to your doorstep!  You get a box with all the food needed to cook the food and it's really neat because they only send you enough food to make the meal one time (no leftovers, and no extra ingredients laying around to go bad!).


They also send you recipe cards that have all the ingredients listed out, and step by step instructions on how to cook the entire meal.  It's awesome for people who don't know how to cook, and also for people who do cook, but want to learn more techniques and how to cook with different foods.

Cody absolutely LOVES cooking, and he LOVES Blue Apron.  And I love that he loves it :)

Because we all know that Stephanie doesn't cook unless it involves Chef Mike .... aka the microwave.

So now we come to pricing ... ah, money, money, money.

How I love to discuss money.

So each box contains 3 meals, priced at about $10 per person, per meal.  The total comes to about $60 a week.  At first, this seemed really expensive to me, but Cody wanted to do it so much that I told him we would try it once a month and see how it goes.  I am a budgeter.  I have a spreadsheet on Google Docs and everything, and I budget out a year in advance.  I do not like to spend more money than we have to.  So I was skeptical at first, because surely we would spend less money by going to the grocery store and shopping like we normally do.

But then, the more I thought about it, I realized that we may actually save money because since we will have 3 meals delivered a week, we won't have to buy as much from the grocery store, and since Cody loves cooking so much, he actually wants to stay home and cook instead of going out to eat.


So I decided to give it a real chance, and so far I haven't been disappointed!  I've enjoyed everything we've cooked so far, and we have managed to keep the grocery bill and out to eat bill down.

The other good thing about it is that it is extremely easy to skip weeks, so if we go out of town one week, or we just have a lot going on and won't have time to cook, we can just tell them not to send us a box that week.


For me and Cody, I definitely think that it's worth it.

No comments :

Post a Comment